Our Parish Priest
News & Events
The Parish of St John Vianney was created in the late 1950s to serve the new housing estate that was growing in the west side of the city. The parish began life in 1959 in Allesley Hall School in Winsford Avenue on the Allesley Park Estate, and, later, also at the Phoenix Hotel annexe in Broad Lane and a house in Bishopton Close. The church of St John Vianney in Bishopton Close, at the centre of the Mount Nod estate, was opened on 28th June 1962. It is a simple rectangular brick building, designed by W.S. Hattrell and Partners, with two porches, a galleried nave, and a sanctuary. The interior of the church is impressive as it has neither a pier or pillar and can seat 700 people. The altar, was a gift from St Elizabeth’s parish.
Click here to see how St John Vianney Parish has changed over the years.
You can find out more about the history of the Catholic Faith in Coventry for here.